MSc Accounting and Finance [Top-Up]
Our MSc Accounting and Finance [Top-up] course has been developed with employers to produce forward-thinking accountants, so this course will meet the demands of a competitive marketplace. You will develop the skills and knowledge to complement your professional accountancy qualifications - you will complete the programme equipped with leadership, digital and analytical skills that global employers want, which is how we give you a crucial edge against other qualified accountants.
The MSc Accounting and Finance [Top-up] degree is awarded by BPP University.
Is this for you?
Our MSc Accounting and Finance [Top-up] builds upon your existing professional accounting qualification by further developing your analytical and communication skills in accounting and finance.
This course features cutting-edge modules in Data Science and Digital Leadership, which are seen as key areas that will shape the profession in years to come. You will also develop critical thinking skills by working on a Business Project module as part of this Master’s degree.
This approach is perfect if you are a professional member or are exam qualified from any professional accountancy body. You will learn from industry experts with stellar experience while earning a Master's level qualification to enhance your professional pedigree.
Why choose this programme?
Our MSc Accounting and Finance [Top-up] course has been developed with employers to produce forward-thinking accountants, so you will meet the demands of a competitive marketplace. You will develop the skills and knowledge to complement your professional accountancy qualifications - you will complete the programme equipped with leadership, digital and analytical skills that global employers want, which is how we give you a crucial edge against other qualified accountants.
- Modules designed in consultation with global accountancy firms
- Understand Data Science and learn how to apply it – Big Data and Data Analysis is changing how modern accountants work
- Learn how to exploit opportunities for change through technology and digital leadership
- Develop critical thinking and analysis skills to solve problems in the Business Project
- An approach that’s supported by global accounting Institutes
Progression upon completion
You will have a Master’s degree which compliments your professional qualification and provides a competitive edge over your peers.
Start Date: September
Length of Programme: 1 year Full-Time / 2 year Part-Time
Mode of Study: Study in the UK
Benefit from our Career Guarantee
If you start your GDL and go on to study our LPC or BTC you'll benefit from our Career Guarantee.
If you don't get obtain a training contract or pupillage within six months of completing your LPC* or BTC** you can study another qualification at BPP for free.
Preparing you for practice
The BPP University GDL is designed to help you make a smooth transition from being a non-law graduate into a career in law. We don't just give you an excellent qualification, we give you an insight into life in practice, so you enter the next stage of your training more informed, more prepared and more effective, and able to demonstrate a higher competency when applying for training contracts and pupillages.
Once you have successfully completed your GDL exams, you have the opportunity to specialise or develop an understanding in alternative areas, take two extra modules and you could graduate with a Graduate LLB (Hons) awarded by BPP University. The Graduate Diploma in Law is awarded by BPP University and is recognised as completion of the academic stage by the SRA and BSB.
When you have passed your GDL, you're guaranteed a place on our LPC, the next step to becoming a solicitor. Or you can apply for our BTC, the next step to becoming a barrister.
How the programme is taught
We assume you have no prior knowledge of law when you start your GDL, so you get a full induction programme and a high level of support from day one. This includes outstanding learning materials and online resources. All study materials are included in the fee. All lectures and resources have online equivalents.
You'll be taught by our experienced legal professionals and academics with time split evenly between tutorials and lectures as well as regular consolidation sessions and a wealth of online resources. For full details view our Locations tab.
What you will experience in the classroom
BPP University's ethos is learning by doing. Classes are designed with an interactive focus, based on discussions, debates and resolving practical case studies. You will learn the academic knowledge, but as importantly you will learn how it's applied in practice, with a logical approach, presenting your arguments persuasively and in a structured manner.
You will study up to 21 hours a week consisting of live and online lectures and classes dependent on location and start date. Tutorials are taught in groups of around 18 students, giving you a high level of student/tutor contact time.
All our students also have a Personal Tutor and access to a Student Advisor, should you need any guidance or additional support outside of class time.
Independent research essay options
We offer a wide range of titles, and will always consider individual topics suggested by students. Current options include intellectual property, succession, company law, family law, housing law, medical law and public international law.
Personalise your GDL timetable
BPP gives you more control over the way you study with face-to-face, online distance learning, or a combination of both available. Classes are offered morning, afternoon, evening and weekends. Face-to-face GDL classes are taught on two set days per week during the core teaching term, at the following centres, Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge and Liverpool.
You can start in January or September. For full-time study, both options take nine months. Or if you choose part-time and start in January, you'll finish in 18 months – ready to start the LPC or BTC in September. If you start part-time in September the programme takes two academic years.
With the BPP GDL, you're given access to an unrivalled range of additional modules, designed to get you ahead and give you the edge in interviews. Highlights include:
- Company law module
- Further specialist law modules – start specialising early in areas such as Intellectual Property or Public International Law, so you can demonstrate more expertise than other graduates.
- Professional Skills modules developed with leading city firms – Featuring areas like legal writing and legal research
- Mandarin Chinese – Gain an insight into the language used in one of the world's most important markets with free Mandarin Chinese lessons (London only).
Specialist careers advice
From the moment you accept your place until you secure your first legal position, you can use our careers service. With our one-to-one support, we aim to give you the edge when it comes to getting a training contract or pupillage. You'll have everything from access to our vacancies database to advice on filling out application forms, intensive interview coaching, employer research and networking opportunities with top firms.
Our part-time programme is designed to fit around your other commitments such as work and family. BPP offers a variety of part-time modes:
- Evenings: taught between 6.00pm and 9.00pm. Each module is taught by a one-hour tutorial per week. All our lectures are recorded and made available to students online for flexibility of study
- Weekends: one Saturday every fortnight, consisting of tutorials. Lectures delivered online
- Day: taught on one half-day per week from 9am - 1.30pm in year 1 and from 9am - 2.40pm in year 2. Lectures are delivered online
- Distance learning: weekly online lectures and tutorials with optional face-to-face tuition.
Our MSc Accounting and Finance (Top-up) course consists of three core modules which will equip you with the knowledge and skills to progress in your career in accounting and finance.
Digital Leadership (15 credits)
- Enables you to develop and apply leadership skills for current and future technological and organisational change.
- Provide opportunities to develop a deeper understanding of traditional leadership theories and how to adapt for the digital age.
- Develop a critical approach to digital leadership and apply this to your own professional development as future leaders and managers.
- Equips you with an understanding of the changes affecting organisations due to technology, so you can develop and implement appropriate strategies to respond.
Principles of Data Science for Business (15 credits)
- Provide a critical understanding of what the term data science means in practice.
- Explore the breadth and depth of data science, framing the concepts involved with its theory and practice in a set of data science lifecycle patterns used within businesses.
- Provide experience of the main techniques and related tools in data science, along with practice phases of the data science lifecycle using statistical models and spreadsheets.
- Analyse common activities in data science lifecycles – specifically the acquisition and preparation of data sets, building, execution and evaluation of analytical and predictive models, and the presentation of results with suitable rationale.
- Understand the ethical and legal challenges raised by data science and practice with tools commonly used in data security.
- Establish – in practical terms – how different types of data, e.g. big data or streaming data, requires different arrangements for receipt, processing and storage.
Business Project (30 credits)
- Provides you with the opportunity to conduct a business project using a variety of information sources.
- Enables you to identify and evaluate a contemporary organisation, or industry, and critically evaluate its performance.
- Facilitate the development of problem-solving thinking and behaviour with the ability to manage a project from its inception to delivery.
- Equips you with the skills to propose strategic recommendations based on information and data analysis.
Those wishing to study the MSc Accounting and Finance [Top-up] will require:
- Professional membership or exam qualified status of a recognised professional accounting institute.
If you do not think you meet the entry requirements but have other qualifications or work experience, please contact us and we can review your options.
English entry requirements for international students
If English is not your first language and you do not hold an honours degree that was delivered in English, you will be required to provide proof of your ability – for reading, writing, listening and speaking in English.
The minimum entry requirements are an overall IELTS of 6.5 or equivalent, with no components lower than 6.0. For details of other accepted qualifications, please click here.
If you have an overall IELTS entry score of 6.0 or equivalent, with a minimum of 6.0 in writing, you will have to attend a Pre-Sessional English course. This will help you achieve the exit score at 6.5 overall - with no components lower than 6.0.
If you have the minimum overall IELTS of 6.5 or equivalent, with a minimum of 6.0 in any component, you will be required to attend our In-Sessional Academic Skills classes. This takes place during the first term of studies at no additional cost.
If you meet the entry criteria but do not have the necessary English language skills, we can offer you a Pre-Sessional English course prior to starting your programme. For further information, please visit our English Language Support section.
Fees for studying at London Shepherd's Bush
5-months, full-time: £6,000
9-months, part-time £6,000
Fees for Distance Learning
£ 6,000 £ 3,000*
*Exclusive Bursary for Hong Kong Students (Only Valid for September 2019 cohort)
In addition to your programme fees, there may be additional charges associated with your studies, which include:
- Resit fees for assessments £75
- Resit fees to repeat a 15-credit module £400
- Resit fees to repeat a 20-credit module £530
- Resit fees to repeat a 30-credit module £800
Additional funding options
For those who need it, BPP University’s Student Services support team can provide funding advice and assistance. This includes information on other options open to you, such as bursaries and grants from professional bodies, charities, employers and other institutions who give financial support. For instance, funding may be available through scholarships, interest-free payment plans, the Student Loans Company (slc.co.uk) or Future Finance student loans*.
For more information please visit our student finance section.
*Further details of eligibility requirements, interest rates and other key terms of the Future Finance loan are available by visiting the Future Finance website. BPP University Limited acts as a credit broker and is not a lender for this arrangement.
The course is available as full-time and part-time. Full-time course is taught via blended learning method, a mix of face to face and online delivery. Part-time course is taught via online mode.
What will you learn?
- The Principles of Data Science for Business - Go beyond an introduction and learn how to apply the principles and tools of data science
- Digital Leadership – Develop a critical approach to digital leadership and apply this to your own professional development as a future leader. Understand how to use current and future tech developments to your advantage
- How to conduct a business project using a variety of information sources, developing the skills to propose strategic recommendations and behaviour, with the ability to manage a project from inception to delivery
These modules have been designed in conjunction with employers to equip you for your career in Accounting and Finance in this digital age. For more detail, please visit the Academic Modules tab.
How we support you
- Learn from expert tutors with practical experience in their specialist fields and a passion to share knowledge to maximise your career potential
- Access to a Programme Support Officer who is on hand to guide you through each stage of your learning journey
- Benefit from our Virtual Learning Environment with your qualification content, additional learning resources and step-by-step support to ensure success
Virtual learning support
To help you get the best learning experience, we provide high-quality facilities and technology. BPP University's Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and our intranet feature a variety of resources and revision aids, including interactive modules, podcasts, videos and multiple-choice tests.
As with all our programmes, we will help you sharpen your competitive edge. We want you to graduate with the practical skills and knowledge necessary to build a successful career, in whatever area of accountancy and finance you wish to enter.
We are always here to help!
BPP University Student Centre
- Unit201, 2/F, Austin Plaza, No.83, Austin Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
- (852) 6107-4400