MSc Applied Data Science for Business
Designed to meet increasing market demand, this postgraduate qualification will help professionals who have a passion to develop skills in the emerging field of data science.
Is this for you?
In an increasingly digitised and data-driven working environment, the role of data, and the importance of those who can understand and use that data, is increasing every day.
The world of data science is a complex and ever changing field which requires maths, software engineering, statistics and communication skills. Improving organisational processes is a key objective in this field of work. This is done through providing informed and strategic recommendations on a range of business decisions.
The dynamic nature of a data scientist allows them to use a variety of compliant techniques to make these recommendations, through exploring ways to manipulate and analyse new or existing data. It can also be done by managing resources and maintaining close relationships to achieve results.
Our MSc Applied Data Science for Business will provide an academically challenging and intellectually stimulating programme of study, and has been developed to be of particular relevance for those who have a business focus.
What will you learn?
• Innovations and emergent practice in Data Science
• Lifecycle models and other resources associated with Big Data
• Application of visualisation tools and advanced analytical topics
• Real word applications of machine learning
• Ethics, privacy and security issues related to Data Science
• Data analytics with distributed ledgers and block chains
Start Date: September
Length of Programme: 1 year Full-Time / 2 year Part-Time
Mode of Study: Study in the UK
Benefit from our Career Guarantee
If you start your PGDL and go on to study our LPC or BTC you'll benefit from our Career Guarantee.
If you don't get obtain a training contract or pupillage within six months of completing your LPC* or BTC** you can study another qualification at BPP for free.
Preparing you for practice
The BPP University PGDL is designed to help you make a smooth transition from being a non-law graduate into a career in law. We don't just give you an excellent qualification, we give you an insight into life in practice, so you enter the next stage of your training more informed, more prepared and more effective, and able to demonstrate a higher competency when applying for training contracts and pupillages.
Once you have successfully completed your PGDL exams, you have the opportunity to specialise or develop an understanding in alternative areas, take two extra modules and you could graduate with a Graduate LLB (Hons) awarded by BPP University. The Graduate Diploma in Law is awarded by BPP University and is recognised as completion of the academic stage by the SRA and BSB.
When you have passed your PGDL, you're guaranteed a place on our LPC, the next step to becoming a solicitor. Or you can apply for our BTC, the next step to becoming a barrister.
How the programme is taught
We assume you have no prior knowledge of law when you start your PGDL, so you get a full induction programme and a high level of support from day one. This includes outstanding learning materials and online resources. All study materials are included in the fee. All lectures and resources have online equivalents.
You'll be taught by our experienced legal professionals and academics with time split evenly between tutorials and lectures as well as regular consolidation sessions and a wealth of online resources. For full details view our Locations tab.
What you will experience in the classroom
BPP University's ethos is learning by doing. Classes are designed with an interactive focus, based on discussions, debates and resolving practical case studies. You will learn the academic knowledge, but as importantly you will learn how it's applied in practice, with a logical approach, presenting your arguments persuasively and in a structured manner.
You will study up to 21 hours a week consisting of live and online lectures and classes dependent on location and start date. Tutorials are taught in groups of around 18 students, giving you a high level of student/tutor contact time.
All our students also have a Personal Tutor and access to a Student Advisor, should you need any guidance or additional support outside of class time.
Independent research essay options
We offer a wide range of titles, and will always consider individual topics suggested by students. Current options include intellectual property, succession, company law, family law, housing law, medical law and public international law.
Personalise your PGDL timetable
BPP gives you more control over the way you study with face-to-face, online distance learning, or a combination of both available. Classes are offered morning, afternoon, evening and weekends. Face-to-face PGDL classes are taught on two set days per week during the core teaching term, at the following centres, Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge and Liverpool.
You can start in January or September. For full-time study, both options take nine months. Or if you choose part-time and start in January, you'll finish in 18 months – ready to start the LPC or BTC in September. If you start part-time in September the programme takes two academic years.
With the BPP PGDL, you're given access to an unrivalled range of additional modules, designed to get you ahead and give you the edge in interviews. Highlights include:
- Company law module
- Further specialist law modules – start specialising early in areas such as Intellectual Property or Public International Law, so you can demonstrate more expertise than other graduates.
- Professional Skills modules developed with leading city firms – Featuring areas like legal writing and legal research
- Mandarin Chinese – Gain an insight into the language used in one of the world's most important markets with free Mandarin Chinese lessons (London only).
Specialist careers advice
From the moment you accept your place until you secure your first legal position, you can use our careers service. With our one-to-one support, we aim to give you the edge when it comes to getting a training contract or pupillage. You'll have everything from access to our vacancies database to advice on filling out application forms, intensive interview coaching, employer research and networking opportunities with top firms.
Our part-time programme is designed to fit around your other commitments such as work and family. BPP offers a variety of part-time modes:
- Evenings: taught between 6.00pm and 9.00pm. Each module is taught by a one-hour tutorial per week. All our lectures are recorded and made available to students online for flexibility of study
- Weekends: one Saturday every fortnight, consisting of tutorials. Lectures delivered online
- Day: taught on one half-day per week from 9am - 1.30pm in year 1 and from 9am - 2.40pm in year 2. Lectures are delivered online
- Distance learning: weekly online lectures and tutorials with optional face-to-face tuition.
You will study the following modules as part of the MSc Applied Data Science:
Principles of Data Science for Business
Programming for Data Science
Big Data and Cloud Computing
Applied Modelling and Visualisation
Applied Machine Learning
Data Privacy and Security
Data Science Project
Modelling and Predicting Market Systems
Business Data, Cognitive Agents, Blockchains and Distributed Ledgers
Social and IoT Networks of Data
Applicants will be expected to have:
• A minimum of a 2:2 Honours degree from a UK or recognised international university; or
• Applicants with less than the required level of academic qualification may be considered if they have significant work experience
Applicants will also be expected to have:
• C-grade in GCSE level Maths or equivalent; or
• Be prepared to undertake a bespoke mathematics test
If an applicant is a non-native user of English, they must also:
• Provide evidence they have been instructed and assessed in English for a significant part of their educational career; or
• Provide evidence of an IELTS 6.5 overall (minimum) with a minimum of 6.0 in each element
The full cost for this two-year, part time programme is £15,000 per learner.
2 years, part time
January, May, September
MSc Applied Data Science for Business awarded by BPP University
Interactive webinars, individual learning, discover learning activities, applied knowledge, assessment led learning, reflection and guided consolidation and access to a bank of resources.
Progression upon completion
You will have a Master’s degree in a specialist discipline which compliments your existing degree or experience and provides a competitive edge over your peers.
How BPP will support you
• You will be taught by expert tutors who have practical experience in the fields they teach, with a passion to share that knowledge to maximise your career potential
• A Programme Support Officer who is on hand to guide you through each stage of your learning journey
• Access to our Virtual Learning Environment with all your qualification content, additional learning resources and step-by-step support to ensure success
We are always here to help!
BPP University Student Centre
- Unit 201, 2/F, Austin Plaza, No. 83, Austin Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
- (852) 6107-4400